|Australian Harness Racing Rules 315-334||
315. The Rules in this Part are to be read together with all other Rules and in the event of a conflict, the Rules in this Part shall prevail.
316. In this
(1) “Rider” means a person who rides a horse in a race approved by the
Controlling Body as a Monté race and for the purposes of these Rules
including the imposition of penalties for breaches of the Rules, rider shall
where applicable include “driver”
as defined in these Rules.
(2) “Monté Race” means a race in which the competing horses are ridden by
a licensed rider.
(3) “Horse” means a standardbred horse that has:-
attained the age of 3 years;
qualified as a trotter;
(c) started in no less than three trotting races and a Monté trial.
used in connection with Monté racing shall be approved by the Controlling
318. (1) Applications concerning gear shall be made on form R25-M.
(2) Part B of form R25-M must be
completed and lodged with the Controlling Body no later than 48 hours before
the nomination of a horse for a race.
(3) In the event of a change to
any of the particulars entered on Part B of form R25-M a fresh gear form
containing current particulars shall immediately be lodged with the
In the case of a horse to compete in a race, application to change any gear
must be made to the Controlling Body by the connections at a time to be
determined by the Controlling Body.
320. An application to change any gear shall be made to the Controlling Body on form R25-M.
rider shall only use a non-modified whip of a design and specification
approved by the Controlling Body.
(2) A rider shall only use a
whip forward of the saddle.
(3) A rider shall at all times when using a whip keep hold of the reins.
rider shall only use reins of a design and specification approved by the
(2) Approved reins cannot be
attached with a carabineer or snap-hook.
(3) A rider shall when
mounted on a horse hold the reins in both hands.
A rider shall when mounted on a horse wear a properly affixed helmet which
has been entered in the Helmet Register approved by Harness Racing
A rider shall when mounted on a horse wear a properly fastened safety vest
which has been approved by Harness Racing Australia.
rider shall when mounted on a horse wear riding boots approved by the
(2) Riding boots shall have a
heel and not have spurs attached.
rider shall when mounted on a horse use a saddle which has been approved by
the Controlling Body.
(2) An extra girth strap or surcingles shall be used to tighten the girth if there is only one strap fitted to each side of the saddle.
(3) If a head-check is used
on a horse then:-
(a) The head-check must be
attached to the saddle.
(b) The saddle must be used
in conjunction with a crupper.
A rider shall when mounted on a horse use stirrups approved by the
328. A breast plate shall be fitted to a horse competing in a race.
329. (1) The minimum weight to be carried by a horse including the rider and all gear except the bridle and reins shall be 65 kg.
(2) The maximum weight to be
carried by a horse including the rider and all gear except the bridle and
reins shall be 105 kg.
(3) Subject to sub-rule
when a race has been run every rider shall immediately after pulling up ride
his horse to the place of weighing and when told by the Stewards so to do
and not before, there dismount and the riders of the placed horses and such
other riders as directed by the Stewards shall be weighed to the
satisfaction of the Stewards.
(4) If a rider be prevented
by accident, illness or other cause deemed sufficient by the Stewards from
riding to the place of weighing he may walk or be carried to the scales.
If, in the opinion of the Stewards, it is impracticable to weigh in a
rider, his horse shall not be disqualified if the Stewards are of the
opinion that he carried his correct weight.
If a horse carries less than 65 kg it shall be disqualified from the race
and the rider and/or any other person may be penalised.
331. A horse that in the opinion of the Stewards breaks gait clear of interference in the final 200 metres of a race shall be disqualified from the race.
(1) A rider shall at all
times during the course of a race ensure that all other horses have a clear
(2) A rider who fails to
comply with sub-rule
(1) is guilty of an offence.
Unless otherwise approved by a Controlling Body, in
a race conducted with a mobile start:
(a) A horse shall wear a
(b) There shall not be more
than one row of horses.
person who holds a driver’s licence or trainer’s licence pursuant to Part 4
of these Rules shall complete at least one Monté trial to the satisfaction
of the Stewards.
(2) An unlicensed person or a person who holds a stable hand licence pursuant to Part 4 of these Rules and who is not younger than 16 years must complete at least three (3) Monte trials to the satisfaction of the Stewards.
(3) A person who is licensed
as a jockey by a Principal Racing Authority is exempt from completing a