|Australian Harness Racing Rules 268-273|
|Equipment and Colours|
268. Gear used in connection with racing shall be approved by the Controlling Body.
268A. (1) Applications concerning gear shall be made on form R25-A
(2) Part B of form R25-A must be completed and lodged with the Controlling Body no later than 48 hours before the nomination of a horse for a race.
(3) In the event of a change to any of the particulars entered on Part B of form R25-A a fresh gear form containing current particulars shall immediately be lodged with the Controlling Body.
269. In the case of a horse to compete in a race, application to change any gear must be made to the Controlling Body by the connections at a time to be determined by the Controlling Body.
269A. An application to change any gear shall be made to the Controlling Body on Part B of form R25-A.
270. (Rule 270 repealed - HRA approved 21.10.2016)
271. Only sulkies of the type, dimensions and materials approved by the Controlling Body may be used.
271A. A sulky shall conform to the standards set out in the document adopted by Harness Racing Australia entitled "Standard For Safety and Performance of Sulkies" and sub titled "The Sulky Standard."
272. (1) The connections of a horse may make application to the Controlling Body for the registration of colours.
(2) The application is to be made in the manner and form and be accompanied by such documentation, information and fees as the Controlling Body may determine.
(3) The application may be refused by the Controlling Body without assigning any reason.
(4) Subject to sub rule (6) registration shall remain in force for such time as is determined by the Controlling Body.
(5) Registration may be granted subject to terms and conditions and these may be varied by the Controlling Body during the currency of the registration.
(6) Registration shall lapse forthwith if a term or condition of registration is not complied with.
(7) A person shall not start a horse in a race at a meeting unless the driver is dressed in registered colours.
(8) If for some reason the colours described in the race book are unavailable, club colours approved by the Controlling Body shall be worn.
(9) Each club shall keep and maintain in good condition not less than 2 sets of approved club colours.(10) Colours registered in the name of a person who has been disqualified shall not be used in a race during the period of disqualification.
(11) Notwithstanding sub rule (7) and sub rule (8) the Stewards may give such directions as they think fit about the colours to be worn or the advertising to be displayed in a race.
(12) A person who fails to comply with sub rule (7) or with a direction given under sub rule (11) or who is responsible, whether wholly or in part, for a breach of sub rule (8) or (10) is guilty of an offence.
272A. An application for registration of colours shall be made to the Controlling Body on form R272-A.Offences
273. (1) A person shall not use or permit the use of unapproved gear except with the permission of the Chairman of Stewards.
(2) A person shall not present to start or start a horse in a race in insecure gear or gear of inferior quality, or in poor order and condition, or of insufficient strength and quality to cope with the stresses likely to be imposed on it in a race.
(3) A person shall not start a horse in a race unless the horse is fitted with a false belly band or retaining straps except with permission of the Chairman of Stewards.
(4) A person shall not start a horse in a race fitted with any equipment or gear that covers and/or protrudes past the nostrils of the horse.
(5) A person shall not without the approval of the Stewards change the registered gear of a horse.
(6) A person shall not present to start or start in a race a horse that is:-
(a) not wearing the correct number;
(b) not wearing the gear that has been approved by the Stewards for that horse.
(7) (Rule 273(7) renumbered as 45(5) - HRA approved 21.10.2016)
(8) A person who fails to comply with any provision of this rule is guilty of an offence.
Rules Effective from 1st September 1999 (State Controlling Bodies must adopt)
Rules Approved - 16th March 1999 (AHRC Meeting)