From today at Warragul Victorian standing start races will be effected by hand-held barrier strands.
The process will be:
1. Starter to call horses and drivers to gradually proceed forward towards the barrier strand;
2. If horses are coming to the barrier too quickly or if a driver is attempting to anticipate the start (by rushing the tape) and thus gain an unfair advantage, the starter may turn the field away and recommence the desired process;
Immediately prior to the start being effected:
3. Drivers are to momentarily pause their horses;
4. Where the starter will have a green flag raised;
5. And verbally express in one continuous phrase, “All horses up to your marks, stand them up”;
6. In the process of concluding this command, the starter will lower the green flag to signify the start;
7. The track attendants are to release the barrier strands simultaneously with the command of "stand them up" and the lowering of the green flag.
This decision has been made to try and minimise the delays caused by the strands failing to release automatically.
COMMUNICATIONS AND MEDIA MANAGER