Tasbred Series Information
The Tasbred Series is the only free racing and breeding incentive program in Australasia. With over $500,000 distributed annually it provides outstanding value for breeders.
The series has three components – the Tasbred Bonus, the Tasbred Sires Stakes and the Tasbred Breeders Coupon.
Tasbred Bonus payouts total $250,000 annually. A Tasbred Bonus of $2,000 ($1500 to the owner and $500 to the registered breeder) will be paid for a Tasbred eligible horse’s first two wins in the 2YO season and each of the first two wins in the 3YO season. If a horse does not win as a 2YO or 3YO a $2,000 bonus will be paid for the first win as a 4YO or older.
Tasbred Bonus payments apply only to races conducted in Tasmania, including King Island. Tasbred Bonus payments do not apply to heats of the Australasian Breeders Crown.
Tasbred Sires Stakes
The Tasbred Sires Stakes is a $256,200 race series comprising heats and finals for 2YO, 3YO and 4YO’s. Each age group is divided into two sections – female pacers and male pacers. Heats are of $7,100 and finals of $30,000. All races are mobile starts.
Each age group is named after an outstanding Tasmanian horse. The female sections are Evicus (2YO), Bandbox (3YO) and Granny Smith (4YO). The male sections are Dandy Patch (2YO), Globe Derby (3YO) and Raider (4YO).
Tasbred Breeders Coupon
In July 2008, Harness Racing Tasmania announced the introduction of the Tasbred Breeders Coupon. It is anticipated the scheme will be worth $200,000 annually when the full benefits are realized in 2010/11.
Tasbred horses racing as 2YO’s this season (2008/09) will be the first crop to be eligible for credits towards the Tasbred Breeders Coupon. Horses will earn another 10% of stake money for their breeder. It will be credited to the breeders Tasbred Breeders Coupon. The scheme will extend to Tasbred 2YO and 3YO’s in 2009/10 and Tasbred 2YO, 3YO and 4YO’s in 2010/11. Credits towards the Tasbred Breeders Coupon relate to any 2YO, 3YO or 4YO race in Tasmania or any 2YO, 3YO or 4YO Group Race in Australia.
A unique aspect of the Tasbred Breeders Coupon is that breeders will earn credits every time their Tasbred horse competes in any 2YO, 3YO or 4YO race in Tasmania or any 2YO, 3YO or 4YO Group Race in Australia race. The 10% credit relates to any stake money won. Credits towards the Tasbred Breeders Coupon will be paid over and above the advertised stake money and are additional to any other bonuses or stake money that may be earned.
For example, a Tasbred horse that wins a $4,200 2YO race in 2008/2009 will earn a credit of $289 (10% of $2,889 first prize money in a 10 horse field) towards the breeders Tasbred Breeders Coupon. The second horse will earn a credit of $62, third $41 and fourth $20.
In the $30,000 Evicus Final or Dandy Patch Final, the winner of each will earn a credit of $1,848 (10% of $18,480 first prize money in a 10 horse field) towards the breeders Tasbred Breeders Coupon. The second horse will earn a credit of $396, third $264, fourth $132 and $60 for all unplaced horses.
Credits from the Tasbred Breeders Coupon can only be used by the breeder for service fees or at the Tasmanian Premier Harness Yearling Sale in the following season. When used for service fees, the credits apply to mare(s) owned or part owned by the breeder and are applicable to the service fee only (excludes agistment fees, vet fees etc.). When used at the Tasmanian Premier Harness Yearling Sale, the credits apply to the purchase of yearlings that are not owned or part owned by the breeder.
A foal shall be deemed Tasbred if:
- The mare is served, naturally or artificially, by a stallion registered and standing in Tasmania; or
- The mare is lawfully inseminated in Tasmania by semen from any registered standard stallion provided that the resultant foal is born in Tasmania.
- The foal notification is lodged with Racing Services Tasmania.
Clauses 4 and 5 cover other occurrences that may lead to Tasbred eligibility:
- If an owner decides a mare should leave Tasmania to be served or foal, and the owner wants the resultant foal to be deemed Tasbred eligible, the owner must apply to Harness Racing Tasmania and outline the reasons why. The application must be made, in writing, at least two months prior to the mare being served to ensure Harness Racing Tasmania has sufficient time to consider the application. If the result of the 42 day test verifies the mare is in foal, the mare or the surrogate mare must return to Tasmania within 30 days for the resultant foal to be considered for Tasbred eligibility.
- Any exceptional circumstance deemed reasonable by Harness Racing Tasmania may be considered for Tasbred eligibility.
It is vital that Tasbred foals are registered with Racing Services Tasmania. If not, they are not eligible for the Tasbred Series.
While the Tasbred Series is free from 1 September 2008, a foal registration fee of $151 is applicable for 2008/2009 to cover freeze branding and DNA testing. Higher fees apply if the foal notification is lodged more than one month after foaling.
From 1 September 2009, Harness Racing Tasmania will pay all foal registration fees provided that the foal notification is lodged with Racing Services Tasmania within one month of foaling.
No acceptance fees are applicable to any component of the Tasbred Series.
Tasbred Sires Stakes Conditions
Racing Services Tasmania General Conditions for Races Conducted as Heats and Final/Consolation, published in The Victorian, South Australian & Tasmanian Licence Holders Directory 2008/2009, are applicable to each Tasbred Sires Stakes race series.
Additional conditions are:
- Heats will be programmed for each sex of the 2YO, 3YO and 4YO series.
- Heats will be programmed no more than two weeks before each respective final.
- If the number of acceptors for any series is not more than the safety limit, the heat will be deleted and the acceptors given preference in a re-advertised final.
- If heats are deleted and there are six or more acceptors, a prelude will be conducted for the advertised stake money of the heats. The draw will be PBD/2A (2YO’s), PBD/3A (3YO’s) or PBD/C (4YO’s).
- The amount and distribution of stakes for each series shall be determined by Harness Racing Tasmania and announced before 1 November in the season the series is conducted.
- Harness Racing Tasmania reserves the right to amend the conditions for the conduct of any series as may be deemed necessary.
- Any disputes regarding the conditions or interpretation of the conditions of any series shall be determined by Harness Racing Tasmania and the decision shall not be subject to appeal.
Definition of Breeder
Under the Rules of Harness Racing the breeder is “the owner/s of the mare at the time of foaling.”
If applicable, transfers must be lodged prior to foaling because any Tasbred Series related payment or credit will be paid to the official “breeder.” The rights to Tasbred Series payments or credits are not transferable.